Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Threatened with Tornadoes, Northwest Arkansas Had a Loud Storm, More To Come

 

Enchanted Peace grew six feet tall last year and will probably grow even more.

The tornado threat disappeared last night, but Charlie Sue and I heard the fireworks of a powerful thunderstorm directly above us.

Most of the roses survived the occasional cold spells from last winter. I used a sunny day to trim the dead wood from roses eager to grow and bloom. That action doubles the growth. The roots reach out below for more water and the gentle fellowship of earthworms. Branches grow and buds race to bloom. Thorns cost me a few cuts.

David Austin developed 200 distinct roses.


The two pruning efforts went like this:

  1. Rain
  2. Prune
  3. Rain
Enchanted Peace Rose survived the winter and began blooming immediately.

Some Knockout Roses did the same.


Tess of the d'Urbervilles® - David Austin English Rose

 

I decided to plant locally, so I went to the gardening center and obtained some potted David Austin roses, often called English roses for their perfect blooms. My neighbor said, "They are so perfect I thought they might be plastic."

I gave Creation Gardening to one of the staff.

Easy Does It continues to impress everyone.


Easy Does It has the colors of sunset.

On Sunday, Mother's Day, roses will be placed at the doorways of our cul-de-sac, plus some for Bible John's wife; they live around the corner.