Saturday, July 19, 2008

Prescription Price Shocker at Sam's Club




I went to the doctor's for a routine exam. The physician's assistant suggested I try Sam's Club for the prescription. I have no group insurance and individual coverage went beyond the stratosphere some years ago.

I said, "I tried Wal-Mart already. They are no better than Walgreen's."

She said, "My $100 prescription is $20 there. Try them."

So I did.

Norvasc is about $90 a month, name brand.

The generic is $50 a month at Walgreen's and Wal-Mart.

The generic is $5 (five bucks, yes 90% cheaper) at Sam's Club.

My retail advisor says that WM and Sam's are run as separate units, with some happy results at times. So give Sam's a try if prescriptions are beating you down.

For those who qualify for Medicare, the Medicare Advantage program may work out, depending on the carrier. Mrs. Ichabod is saving tons of money and getting great care with Cigna.