Monday, May 10, 2010

Church and Changer Leads Worship Section for WELS Workshop - Not Exactly News





---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Troy Yerks
Date: Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [church_and_change] ideas and resources for NAD conference presentation on music and worship
To: church_and_change@yahoogroups.com


Sarah,If you discuss projection styles, etc., let me give you my 2 cents. I have become (sic) to dislike projecting the words to the hymns on the screen. The hymnals are no longer used, many more people say, "I can't read music, so I won't use the hymnal." We taught our kids that when the notes go up, your voice should go up, etc., and I feel that is the info that is greatly missing when projecting words. Even long-time WELS members forget how certain hymn and liturgy parts go. I've heard the choir singing right next to me, and some were singing the wrong notes and or rhythm.I have seen one church do an effective job of projecting words and notes; Cross fo (sic) Glory in Peoria, AZ. It could be that they were using the white wall as the "screen" and in a mission setting, the Nave of the church is not as long as our more established churches in the midwest. I bring this up because I feel we will no longer be the singing church if we just put up words. It becomes too easy for us to become non-active worshipers (is that possible?). Hope this helps and that you receive many ideas.Blessings on your presentation!Troy Yerks ---



On Sat, 5/8/10, Philip Boileau wrote:From: Philip Boileau Subject: Re: [church_and_change] ideas and resources for NAD conference presentation on music and worship To: church_and_change@yahoogroups.comDate: Saturday, May 8, 2010, 9:05 PM Sarah, With a topic like "Worship and Music in Mission Settings", I would think that an emphasis of such a topic might include a focus on good contemporary and blended worship music. There was a time when music with strong lyrical content and singable music were not easy to find. That is not the case anymore. There are a lot of great songs out there. A few great sites for a variety of worship music are www.lifewayworship. com, www.praisecharts. com, and www.sovereigngrace. com. A couple of great resources for contemporary arrangements of hymns (beside sources at www.lifewayworship. com) are "Hymns for Praise and Worship" by Word and "Wholehearted Hymns" at www.wholeheartedwor ship.com. A few songs that aren't that threatening that I would recommend are: "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" & "The Power of the Cross" by Stuard Towend "If Not for Christ" by Jeromy Deibler - FFH "Oh Crimson Flow" by Josh Hickman, Matt Birkenfeld - Christ for the Nations "Prepared a Place for Me" by Doug Plank - Sovereign Grace "You Alone Can Rescue" by Matt Redman "Come People of the Risen King" by Keith & Kristyn Getty Just my 2 cents - I hope this helps a little.In His Arms,Phil Boileau---

On Sat, 5/8/10, Sarah Lambrecht wrote:From: Sarah Lambrecht Subject: [church_and_ change] ideas and resources for NAD conference presentation on music and worshipTo: church_and_change@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, May 8, 2010, 6:42 PM I've been on this Yahoo group for many years, and haven't posted for many years. There have been some great resources and ideas posted and discussed here, when motherhood gives me the opportunity to read. I've got a few questions related to music and worship for those who'd like to chime in.My husband, Adam, and I will be presenting at the North Atlantic District Missionaries conference in Chesapeake, VA in June. "Music and Worship in the Mission Setting", which likely could better be called "Music and Worship outside of the Midwest". We're sharing music resources (liturgies, psalms, new/original hymn tunes, instrumental music resources), encourag ing your church to be a "singing church", introducing basic music notation info (Finale, PrintMusic, etc.) and also discussing Copyright and Licensing info. I've been gathering my resources and wanted to ask some questions of you. Pick and chose, answer anything you'd like.If you were going to such a conference, what kinds of things would you want to hear about? For the most part, I'm set with my topics, but have this fear I'm forgetting something obvious. What are your top resources for "non-CW" music? As an example, I regularly use music from the songbooks "Sing a New Creation" and "Renew". Any other favorites?Being the music minister at the churches I've served, I've never had to deal with MIDI files. I'm looking for any sites or info. that I can pass along those that need to use MIDI files for worship. Specifically, sites to find MIDI files that don't use all organ, and don't sound like a computer is playing them (I know, I know, a computer IS playing them! :).Any resources on webcasting services?And, what are your favorite "solid CCM" songs? I'm always looking to expand my list of those mainstream CCM or praise songs that have solid words (my take is that I have to look through about 500 to get 1 good one.) What are the good ones you have found?Thanks in advance for any websites, resources, ideas, etc. that you pass along. I've shared this info. with individual churches in the past, but never to such a diverse group. I'm hoping that everyone at the conference can walk away with something useful for their (sic) situation. Thanks for your input!

Sarah Lambrecht, Music MinisterShepherd of the Mesa Lutheran Church (new WELS start-up on the western slope) Parachute, CO