Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Luther Extols Faith While Removing Romans 4 from the UOJ Arsenal of False Claims




Here we must have Christ to bless us, and save us, as Abraham had Him for his blesser and Saviour. How? Not by works, but by faith. Therefore he addeth with great vehemency: “they which are of faith, are blessed with faithful Abraham.” A man, believing in Christ, is altogether a divine person, the child of God, the inheritor of the world, a conqueror of sin, death, the world, and the devil;  therefore he cannot be praised or magnified enough.Let us not suffer this faithful Abraham to lie hid in his grave, as he is hid from the Jews (who said: “Abraham is dead”), but let us highly extol and magnify him, and fill both heaven and earth with his name. So every Christian through his faith, filleth heaven and earth so that, besides it, he ought to behold nothing.

Martin Luther, Kregel, Galatians 3:8, p. 142.

KJV Galatians 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached
before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of
faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

KJV John 8:52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. 53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? 54 Jesus
answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day:
and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.