Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Small Children - Best Days of Your Mortal Life

Little Ichabod, his mother and I all worked in libraries
on our way to fame and fortune.
The libraries were our hand tools.


rlschultz has left a new comment on your post "The Best Job in the World - And the Most Neglected...":

Hindsight is 20/20. I have told several parents with small children that these will be the best days of your mortal life. I now have the luxury of looking back to when our children were younger. I do not have too many regrets. 


It is the little nuances of parenthood that are most delightful. Yes, parents often often boast of their children's great achievements, even when those children become adults. 

About 40% of the births in this country are to single parents. 

As stated in the post, parents can teach their children so many useful skills. My father was always getting one of his sons to help him with a task that involved using hand tools. Being handy can be a useful way to make money between real jobs. Besides that, there is the bond between parents and children which lasts a lifetime. 

***

GJ - Once LI was helping me fix rust on a car. My specialty is repairing car bodies with Bondo. LI stopped to say, "This is one of the few traditional father-son projects we have done." 

He always helped me with publishing books. In fact, when I taught an adult class, he was my instant fact checker. If I was at a loss for a citation, he had it. The adults laughed when I hesitated one night. One said, "Your fact-checker is missing."

I helped him connect his first computers. He helps me troubleshoot mine, now. That was essential, because getting the network into the next room was necessary for broadcasting. When I asked the Cox installer to do it, he said, "No, not for renters."


Story time with LI and Erin Joy.