The Hymn #81 Gerhardt O Jesus, Christ, Thy Manger Is
The Order of Vespers p. 41
The Psalmody Psalm 100 p. 144
The Lection - Isaiah 40 KJV
The Sermon Hymn #61 Comfort Ye My People
God the Creator - His Promises in Isaiah
The Prayers and Lord’s Prayer p. 44
The Collect for Peace p. 45
The Benediction p. 45
The Hymn #552 Abide with Me
- Her warfare is ended.
- Her iniquity is pardoned.
- She has received double for all her sins.
- Jesus was born of a Virgin, as predicted in Isaiah 7.
- He was - and is - God with us - Immanuel. Isaiah 7 and 9.
- The angels appeared to the shepherds while the leaders were kept in the dark.
- Jesus appeared in the Temple as a baby and again as a young boy, in both cases creating indelible impressions on the Jewish leaders.
- When Jesus was baptized, the Spirit descended and the Father's voice was heard. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - one of hundreds of passages emphasizing what was implied throughout the Old Testament.
- The miracles supported the divine teaching of Christ, and the crucifixion fulfilled Isaiah 53, Psalm 22, and many other Old Testament predictions.
- And this all took place to show us - beyond any doubt - that Christ died for our sins and rose from the dead to conquer sin and death.