Monday, October 22, 2018

Favorite Music - Reader Request


One reader is a Bruckner fan, so I mentioned I was too. I used to play the record in the lounge at Augustana College. Music majors would come in and say, "You like Bruckner?!"



My mother decided I should learn an instrument. I tested above tone deaf, so that began elementary school band, playing a flute and being tutored, all the way into college, where I was drafted into percussion. That was not because of talent but because of a shortage in percussion. I played the cymbals and the beer glasses for "Carmina Burana." On tour, the very talented drummers were plagued by the kids and adults saying to me, "You played the beer glasses!" Status: rock star.

I loved music but had no particular talent, so I felt like Salieri in Amadeus.



Favorites
When LI was growing up, I had the complete collection of Time-Life records on the history of music. We only played classical music and hymns, which were LI's musical education.

Bach and Mozart are my favorites, with Bach being the one I would choose over all others. Is there any area where he is not above the rest? Besides, I could listen to any Bach piece all day long, but not Mozart symphonies all day. That is my one criterion - can I listen to it repeatedly. Our neighbor at Yale Divinity played Mozart's clarinet quintet all day, every day, both semesters. He apologized. I said, "No, that is one of my favorites."

When I taught in Yuma and drove back to Phoenix, I played and directed Beethoven's Eroica on the stereo, only because it was pitch black and the music made 190 miles seem rather short. I enjoyed the Pastoral, but Disney ruined it with his cartoon version, as he ruined so many classics in literature. Playing it reminded me of how he wrecked Wind in the Willows.

I enjoyed all the eras of music, but the Russian most of all. Alas, I no longer have them or Bruckner. Now I rely on Internet music, which is handy.



Pop Music
I also enjoy musicals, the favorites being Oklahoma! and Music Man. We went to Arizona Broadway for years, and I always jumped up to promote a standing ovation, because I think live music performances should be appreciated and rewarded. It was fun to lead the way each time. The performers loved it. We took a friend and she got to meet the author of Man of LaMancha, her favorite musical.

My favorite era of popular music is DooWop, because the groups had to be talented to earn recordings. I know there were some exceptions to the talent rule, but overall they worked on their own and developed the discipline to sing acapella. One can watch young talent turn into old, retiring talent on the Net - Jay and the Americans, for example.

  "Please, Ratty, I want to row - now!"