Saturday, January 25, 2020

Sassy Sings Happy Birthday to Veteran John



When we drive by Pat and John's, we are expected to wave at them. Yesterday we had Sassy in the back seat, saw Pat's son - a veteran - and stopped to say hello. When we were done, John's car stopped and came forward. I said, "John, you had a recent birthday." He confessed that he did.

I began singing "Happy Birthday to John" and he motioned for me to stop. So I sang even louder out our car window. Sassy chimed in with her hilarious singing-howling-barking. We were all laughing at the end, John especially. He and Pat come out in the cold to say hello to her and get some kisses from her.

Later we were at the oncology group for some bloodwork and a pint of IV and potassium. A volunteer named George came by to ease the tedium of dripping saline. He delivered some drinks, too. We had a great conversation about all kinds of subjects, from Dr. Pepper to his combination of disorders and medical history. I said later to him, downstairs, "You were really an angel." It reminded me of what Ranger Bob said his favorite verse in the Bible was -

Hebrews 13:2 Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

When he learned another vet, not John, had car troubles, Ranger Bob was over there in a second to repair the car and check out potential problems lurking under the hood. He only needs to hear "vet" and he is there, but he helps wherever he can. Every so often he orders another Chilton repair manual for the volunteer repairs he is doing.

"Professor, I do not need a computer to do my work."

"Bob, that is because you borrow mine all the time. I should charge you for bandwidth." He laughed.

I showed him the magic of the used book market, where almost-new books can be obtained for a dollar. We buy car parts from Rock Auto and discuss military history. "Here's a great book on Soviet ships. Only $600, almost new."


 Today is my name-day in Greek Orthodoxy.