Friday, May 15, 2020

Hydrating the Plants and Blackberries as Weeds



A few plants arrived by mail Wednesday, so I put them in the wheelbarrow with several inches of rainwater to hydrate them overnight. Thursday began with thunderstorms promised. We are in the Procrastination Weather Zone, which means anything predicted will arrive later. Now, at 5:45 am on Friday, the thunder boomed.

Therefore, after the Thursday morning walk with Sassy, I left her outside with me for planting some Daisies and Stella D'Oro (Star of Gold, a daylily and also a cookie).

This bakery was Italian but kosher, so they had quite a following in NYC.


"Aren't Daisies the horticultural equivalent of Dandelions?" No, because these are Red Daisies, chosen for some variety. Therefore, I planted them where people would ask, "What are these?"

The Daisies were added to the Rose Garden, and the Stellas went to the space between the new Joe Pye Weed in the backyard garden, now known as Blackberry Acres. Sassy began looking at the door, so I asked her about going inside. Her broken-hearted bark said, "Yes, I am bored."

I enjoy digging into the garden soil to make way for new plants. Sitting gives me another look at the established plants. I saw the Easy Does It roses needing some additional pruning and the big, tall weeds appearing in one more place. Rose clippers serve both tasks easily.

The front yard is truly another Eden. Astute readers will recall that the thorns came later. When I am sitting on the soil, Robins hop nearby for food, knowing I will stir up the equivalent of rare steak. Rabbits casually hop within a few feet. Squirrels stay away but appear soon after. Above the birds sing Matins and on the cul-de-sac the neighbors go to work. Several women stopped to roll down the window and say thanks for the roses. I told them, "You deserve them!"

The fun part of planting is seeing the most important work done soon after - the long, slow rainstorm. By divine decree and intricate engineering, rain brings down tons of nitrogen with pure water to wash the plants, feed the roots, and enable all the soil creatures. Nitrogen is the foundation for protein, and God provides incredible amounts to feed, hydrate, and wash His Creation.

One time my parents let us all play outside in a big rainstorm, perhaps hoping to reduce the food and clothing budget. I still remember how much fun it was to feel the shock of cold water pouring down while splashing around in enormous puddles.

Birds and squirrels harvest them for free. Best go to the berry section of the supermarket for more than one at a time.

Blackberries as Weeds
Long ago I bought Triple Crown Blackberries, little realizing their zest for spreading. Two canes bent over and planted starts in potted plants left near them. Without help, they established themselves independently where they were not invited, not welcome. Besides that, the mature plants spread through the roots.

I tried to remove them on side of the house where the gate is. Only plantain weeds grew there. I got rid of plantain by replacing them. Those Triple Crowns (friendly canes, no seeds, huge berries) marched around the corner and spread throughout the back garden. I could tell from the blooms that a few last year filled the garden for this year. They blossom and fruit the second year, so that entire garden area owes grew during last year's all-summer drenching rains.

Foot traffic seems to keep Blackberries down, and so does mowing. I do not worry about harvest the berries, because the birds and squirrels get them all.

 I gave my Blueberries to our dentist's mother, who loved them in her new garden. I saw the canes wave and a saucy squirrel walk away with the prizes. I switched him to Blackberries.