Sunday, March 17, 2024

Judica - The Fifth Sunday of Lent - 2024. The Sin of Unbelief

                                             


                      Bethany Lutheran Church

Sunday worship, 10 AM

Pastor Gregory L. Jackson

The Zoom Link Is Here->https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86211445686?pwd=E3CAJIbElaWYb8I2pvR0Ky4qox2wXH.1

The YouTube link appears after the service.

The Hymn #12     This Day at Thy Creating Word                                     
The Absolution

The Introit 
Judge me, O God: and plead my cause against an ungodly nation.

Oh, deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man: for Thou art the God of my strength.

Psalm. Oh, send out Thy light and Thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto Thy holy hill.

The Gloria Patri
The Kyrie p. 17
The Gloria in Excelsis
The Salutation p. 19

The Collect
We beseech Thee, Almighty God, 
mercifully to look upon Thy people, 
that by Thy great goodness 
they may be governed and preserved 
evermore both in body and soul; 
through Jesus Christ, Thy Son, our Lord, who liveth, etc.

The Epistle and Gradual       
The Gospel              
Glory be to Thee, O Lord!
Praise be to Thee, O Christ!
The Nicene Creed p. 22
The Sermon Hymn #67     The Bridegroom Soon Will Call Us - Loy Translation


The Sin of Unbelief
The Preface p. 24
The Sanctus p. 26
The Lord's Prayer p. 27
The Words of Institution
The Agnus Dei p. 28
The Nunc Dimittis p. 29
The Benediction p. 31

The Hymn #410    Jesus Lead Thou On    



       
Prayers and Announcements
  • Randy Anderson is home; Sarah Buck; Lorie Howell, Dr. Kermit Way, Pastor and Mrs. Jim Shrader.
  • Mid-Week Vespers, 7 PM
  • Palm Sunday Holy Communion, 10 AM
  • Holy Week - Maundy Thursday, Holy Communion 7 PM. 
  • Good Friday 7 PM. 
  • Easter Sunday  Holy Communion, 10 AM.


       

KJV Hebrews 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; 12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

KJV John 8:46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. 48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? 49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. 50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. 51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. 52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. 53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? 54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

The Sin of Unbelief


KJV John 8:46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. 

The situation was building up between the religious leaders and Jesus. The more He taught by words and miracles, the more these people objected. This is the Son of God teaching the truth and making His opponents increasingly hostile. The problem continues to this day - those who read and hear the truth of the Scriptures become more hostile. It takes a crowd of unbelievers to support one another in opposition to faith.

John's Gospel is often called the Faith Gospel because of the use of "believe" and "faith." The professor/minister said in class. "If you remember the verb and noun - believe/faith - in the Fourth Gospel, you have half of the Gospel translated." (He was exaggerating.) The opposition continues to this day, people angrily deny what Jesus teaches in this Gospel. The modern opponents do not credit Jesus in John's Gospel because they do not believe in Him. Unbelief is the foundational sin against the Holy Spirit, the battering ram against hardened hearts.
KJV John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Luther:

1. This Gospel teaches how hardened persons become the more furious, the more one teaches them and lovingly stirs them to do their duty. For Christ asks them here in a very loving way for a reason why they still disbelieve, since they can find fault neither with his life nor with his teaching. 

48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? 49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. 50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.

The very nature of unbelief stirs up people to doubt, and those reactions are often quite hurtful in many ways - mocking the believing speaker, name-calling, obvious hatred, rejection, and various forms of guilt by association. However, that is where the battle begins, and it can be quite powerful. 

The Holy Spirit works through the Word, and the Spirit is God, not something to ignore or dismiss. If people believe the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, they have a counselor (spokesman) who argues the case, which goes back to Creation. Nevertheless, people find escapes and fallacies that permit them - so they think - to oppose faith in the Savior, His Word, and His miracles.

51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. 52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. 53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?

The moderns like to modify Jesus because of their unbelief. But Jesus declared the truth to His opponents because that was His mission, and it meant they had reason to convict Him. Jesus was and is the dual threat, not just a threat. He endangered the Jewish state of that time, which could cause Rome to march in and subdue the land, destroying whatever they wished. Jesus made it possible to engage the Roman rulers to go along with this opposition against Him.

John 11:48 - If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.

The people who live luxuriously have reason to be afraid of losing their power, prestige, and cushy lifestyle. And they did - 30 years after the resurrection of Jesus, the Roman army arrived and leveled the Temple and city, taking away the people as slaves.

The unbelievers think they can stand behind Abraham as the father of faith, getting themselves into a quandary with Jesus, who claims He is before Abraham and all of them, and yet was seen and glorified by Abraham. That was impossible for them, to have Jesus in the past and Abraham glorified this future Redeemer.

54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

This is a dialogue where only One is truly present. The scribes and Pharisees have a view of Jesus which is completely human while He is also divine, Two Natures in One, just as He is today with us - human/divine - walking ahead to lead us, bringing us to green pastures and fighting off the wolves.

Jesus aggravated the religious leaders because that was - and is - His mission, to awaken people with the Gospel of Faith in Him. The foundation of the early church was Judaism. They had the Scriptures as the Old Testament alone (for a time), where the historical epochs were described - with the Psalms and prophets. The apostolic age brought out the written New Testament as documents were being compiled. The wolves were present and active. John was perhaps the greatest of the disciples, certainly the longest living one, and yet he was plagued by Cerinthus who opposed him.

57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM

This is an impossible statement, unless it comes from God. Only God could say this, and no one can really say or imagine it, Before Abraham - thousands of years ago - I am, or I was. The I AM is the Name of God, in Exodus 3. Moses saw the Burning Bush, which was to be a symbol of the Two Natures of Christ. God is know as the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob - foreshadowing the Trinity. But what is the Name of God? Tell me, Moses says, so I can give your Name. The voice says - I AM. Tell them I AM sent you.

59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

They picked up stones because Jesus was saying, "I spoke from the Burning Bush, just as earlier, Abraham saw My future of millions of people becoming believers and enjoying life eternal."

The stone throwing shows His time had not yet come. Everything was to be revealed in its time. His Two Natures are also implied because He was the center of focus and yet passed through them, just as He  entered the locked room (emphasized twice) where the disciples were after His resurrection.

This was very early in the ministry of Jesus, and it shows us how region was filled with anxieties and hopes about the Messiah. Just as those times, we wonder and try to predict, but cannot know the exact future.