Sunday, October 14, 2007

Surprised and Confused


"as much as I like this blog, sometimes I'm still surprised or confused by your points of view. Anyway, keep up the good work."

I had a retiring GM worker in my class at one school. He was surprised that I encouraged debate about a variety of topics in two different classes. He ended up writing a letter to me and phoning my bosses about it. The worker said his best teachers encouraged debate, so he was thanking me. He said, "I think you were doing that on purpose."

Yes, I believe in openly debating these topics. Most people would agree that the synodical method of silencing any dissent has worked badly. I saw a post by a WELS pastor about Reggie McNeal speaking for Church and Change. He was apologizing for even posting an objection. I know where that comes from. After being beaten up by WELS officials for opposing Church Growth, he does not want another round or two similar treatment.

Silence favors the false teachers. That is why they have tried to silence me and others so many times. Opposition sharpens our weapons against falsehood and makes us confident in the Word and the Confessions. Studying the Book of Concord as homework is not easy. Reading the Book of Concord during a doctrinal battle is essential.