Sunday, December 20, 2009

Stanley Hauerwas in the News




Stanley Hauerwas

The American Spectator published a story featuring Hauerwas, who connects with our family in several ways. He studied at Yale and got his first job at Augustana, which was during our freshman year. Augustana did not renew his contract (fired him) so he went to Notre Dame, a short walk from my future in-laws' home. My future sister-in-law, who also went to Augustana, babysat his son. Stan was my initial contact when I considered going to Notre Dame, and I took his ethics course once I was there.

John Howard Yoder, my Mennonite dissertation advisor at ND, influenced Hauerwas. Stan is one of the few theologians mentioned in the press. He represents those who wanted someone like Obama as president but is now unhappy over anything suggesting military conflict.


PS - Purdue has a good article on adviser vs. advisor. I think adviser looks wrong. Many schools spell it advisor, and I like that better. I decided to clear that up for the MLC students, who are ever ready to pounce. Of course, some of them are still working on their capital letters and how to form plurals in English. One can make a better case when using the English language properly.


---

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Stanley Hauerwas in the News":

Hello Pastor GJ! Quit making-fun-of people's spellin. er and or are tricky. Sorry for spelling visitor with an er on an earlier post.(it was a comment that you posted on the blog page and you didn't insert 'sic')My offer still stands to proofread your book. Awe, don't worry about it, I can handle rejection.

In Christ,
from WELS church lady

***

GJ - Yer on. I hear there is a special version of Windows 7 published for Texas only. It is called Winders 7.