Friday, August 24, 2012

Pastor Nathan Bickel's Experience with Steadfast Lutherans



Ichabod –  Why do I feel that I’ve been in a fight when I never intended to be part of a fight; or, even to be part of some website participants’ angst and uncontrolled fervor?

You recently posted:

“Thoughts on the Steadfast Lutheran Retreat. Eighty-five Comments Erased from Their Attacks on Justification by Faith:”


"....The Assumptionists are like the UOJists - they believe in their own belief - so do not get in their way. It is safer to rob a she-bear of her cubs than interrupt a UOJ Stormtrooper in his folly."

http://ichabodthegloryhasdeparted.blogspot.com/2012/08/thoughts-on-steadfast-lutheran-retreat.html


Ichabod – Perhaps, my (yesterday’s) experience may help to underscore this disconcerting and rabid “UOJ Stormtrooper folly.” I offer my following thoughts as I attempt to objectively recount that experience.

 


Yesterday while visiting the Steadfast site and commenting, I certainly gained that impression. Your "bear / Stormtropper analogy" is very perceptive; spot on!



I had visited the Steadfast site months ago and registered a comment or two [or so]. But, I happened to stop by at the site yesterday and then registered a number of comments. Shortly after commenting on the Steadfast site, the first thing that transpired was that I was accused of slander when I offered a complimentary comment to Daniel who was being questioned by others. 




Next comes a forum personality called, "McCain," who then launched into some personal vindictives. He ended up charging me with being a false prophet, after offering me his phone number. [Who is this guy?] After looking at the posted thread this morning, I notice that a number of his comments were apparently deleted. Personally, I cannot blame the Steadfast moderators for taking down these particular "McCain" comments. I too, would be embarrassed to leave them up. 


And, as far as I can recall, Diers, Preus and McCain were only reacting; they weren't interested in anything I actually stated, but only to pounce on my use of the "universalism" word. It seems apparent that a person who desires to comment on the Steadfast site won't be allowed to first base if his terminology doesn't match that of the rest of the Steadfast crew. 



Consequently, I suppose I'm more comfortable commenting on a more tolerant site, such as Ichabod. At least I know that its author is supportive of Scripture's integral doctrine of grace through faith and that a human soul is justified by faith alone as Luther and the Lutheran Confessions ascribe. [Why, after I have left the Steadfast site, do I go away with the distinct impression that some of the people commenting there, are tormented by their beliefs?]


Finally, I must say, that I have participated in my fair share of secular forums; but, my experience yesterday was unparalleled. I will grant that I am not the best (by any means) at expressing myself; but, I never would have imagined the rabid experience which I encountered on the steadfastlutherans.org website.


Nathan M. Bickel – pastor emeritus