Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Trust But Verify


I believe Paul McCain when he claims 800,000 page-views a year. In fact, I looked all over his front page for the verifying statistics. 

A blogger can make the counter visible or invisible. I make mine visible. I also use code for mapping the readers as they check in and leave, very handy for tracing nasty anonymous comments (Appleton, Wisconsin; Garland, Texas). Readers can log on and see themselves, their country's flag, and their OS on Feedjit.

St. Louis, Milwaukee, New Ulm, and Mankato show up all the time on Ichabod.

I also post most-read lists, which are handy and amusing. Bruce Church suggested adding kittens, donkeys, and birds to achieve real popularity. True enough, the donkey poem by Chesterton is an all-time favorite. So is the pileated woodpecker sighting. The lists have actual numbers from the software, so people can get an accurate idea. 

Paul would never make up stories, like his denial of working with Otten to promote Al Barry as Synod President. 

He would never invent facts, like posting that my congregation was named after our deceased daughter and adding "How sick is that?" As an MDiv from Ft. Wayne, he had to know Bethany is a Biblical name. The Eighth Commandment demands that I assume complete ignorance on his part. 

As an editor at Concordia Publishing House, McCain would never engage in repeated acts of plagiarism. And, if caught, he would repent and stop claiming the work of others for his own. I was happy to see some signs of contrition (rare in a UOJ fanatic) but my eyes recently fell upon this obvious, poorly formatted example of plagiarism from The Catholic Encyclopedia.

Yes! We should expect 800,000 page-views per year when an ex-pastor offers plagiarism, pistols, and popery as the main content of his blog.

I want to believe.


"Plagiarism of the pope at Concordia Publishing House!"
---

LPC has left a new comment on your post "Trust But Verify":

I assume complete ignorance on his part

This is always a safe assumption when dealing with the Rev. McCain.

I can never emphasise enough on the ignorance of the said pastor, if you know what I mean. We are never wrong when we assume him to be ignorant, Dr. Greg, even though he has an MDiv.

LPC