Sassy and I had our morning walk on the early side. I thought the weather report of possible rain meant "no rain." But I put the rainbarrels in place when feeding the birds, just in case. At the end of the service the lightning began crashing and God's liquid fertilizer began raining down on Creation.
The rainbarrels filled half-way from almost an inch of rain. Sassy had me check on everything for her 5 PM walk. We laughed because she did not observe the arbitrary change in time for Daylight Savings. During the spring she had a high-pitched whine for her second walk. When the time changed, her whine began one hour earlier each day. Her tail rotates to show displeasure at staff performance. If I guess the wrong solution, she doubles the speed of her tail rotation. If I am right, she gives me confirming signals, such as loud happy barks - for her walk.
The efficacious rain has been a special blessing this spring. We have had long, steady rains without flooding. The plants established last year are lush with growth and new plants are soaring:
- Elephant Ears just broke ground this week and the larger one is already inches above ground.
- The berry plants are flowering and fruiting, with blackberries filling an area once weedy and unused.
- The new roses leafed out and the older ones began a bloom cycle. KnockOuts are rushing to catch up.
- Large ripe tomatoes have grown without flaws, and Mrs. Ichabod has enjoyed each one.
- Dozens of Bee Balm flowers have bloomed.
- Butterfly Bushes are starting to bloom and grow even taller. The flowers are candy-sweet and irresistible to beneficial insects.