Monday, November 21, 2016

Lutheran Layman Comments on Thy Strong Word -
Loves the Quotations and Footnotes

 Thy Strong Word can be purchased on Amazon, printed,and Kindle e-books.

The free PDF is posted for anyone to use and share.


Hi Pastor,

For a reader like me, the footnotes you include provide a fast and efficient way to verify that a point you made was based on fact rather than some slanted opinion. Secondly, footnotes and quotes you include let me see the original without taking the time, trouble, or expense of perhaps having to locate and purchase some book to double check you. Google knows a lot, but not everything. I am able to focus on getting the point you are making without the diversions mentioned above. 



An example of the former: I'm reading something you wrote and you state that Mark Jeske said some ridiculous thing. Not being familiar with the biggest embarrassment of the WELS -- Mark Jeske -- I may respond with a thought that this Jackson guy is out grinding really big axes, and mentally diminish or eliminate what it is that you wrote. However, your handy footnote or direct quote lays the naked truth out right before my eyes. Jeske actually did say that! And he's even proud of it.


An example of the latter: You provide a quote from Lenski in your writing that I find very insightful. I am not able to afford the Lenski commentary, or even a single volume. The quotes you include are absolute jewels to me.

Java Dude

From Norma Boeckler's Art

***
GJ - My books are aimed almost completely at the laity. I decided to use a large share of my best and worst quotations in Thy Strong Word, because few have access to so many books. Any time I found new quotations on justification or the efficacy of the Word, I copied them into my Megatron database.

To compile 3,000 quotations for Megatron, I would borrow books from pastors, buy new ones, and comb through my old ones. Some sent me materials to use, publications that very few would ever see because of their temporary nature. As Johnny 5 said in Short Circuit, "More input."