The Glory Has Departed


Norma Boeckler, Artist-in-Residence

Bethany Lutheran Worship on
Ustream


NT Greek Lessons - Thursdays, 7 PM.

Saved worship files and Greek lessons are at the live worship link.

email: greg.jackson.edlp@gmail.com,
which works as gregjacksonedlp@gmail.com too.

Luther's Sermons, Lenker Series
Book of Concord Selections
Bente's Historical Introductions,
and Martin Chemnitz Press Books

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Baby Hummingbird Lands on the Jackson EZ Bird Swing.
Bees Sell Me on Salvia

A baby Hummingbird landed on our bird swing,
but left when I moved to get the camera. Source of photo.

I set up a second bird swing near the kitchen window. The birds are quite used to sitting on the narrow metal bar that rests between two chains that hang from screw hooks. Recently I added an upper storey, because the kitchen area has few roosts for the birds as they jockey for a place on the feeder.

A baby Hummingbird sat on the bar and looked around for a minute or two. My neighbor and I have plenty of flowers that appeal to Hummingbirds, from Bee Balm to flowering Hosta. The little bit of work that I do for the birds was rewarded by that sight. The tiny one was wary. As soon as I moved to get the camera, he was gone.

 Salvia from Bluestone Perennials.

One way to judge the bee-friendliness of plants is to visit them at Walmart's gardening center. I saw a large number of weak Salvia plants in the gardening section and watched as Bumble Bees worked them over. The plants were on clearance and not in the best shape - except for buying. I was sold on them, so I got two. I had to explain to the cashier that I could revive them by soaking them in rainwater. This revival concept was a total mystery to her, how I gathered rain and used it to revive weak plants.

I soaked them in the rain-barrel a few hours and they looked great.

Looking them up - I noticed they belong to the mint family. They should do well in the Hosta Garden in the back.