Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rescue Dogs Are Great Pets




Sassy
Hello my name is Sassy. I am a one year old cattle dog mix. I may look like a mix but I'm all cattle dog when it comes to personality. I am super sweet, very loyal, and a little sassy sometimes but mostly I am just the sweetest little girl. I like to go for walks and I love to boss dogs around at the dog park. My favorite moments are cuddle on the couch time, which I will gladly do just about anytime. I love to play tug-o-war with my foster doggie siblings. I love to race around the yard and play wrestling games with the other dogs. I don't even mind the cats. My foster parents are quite proud of the progress that I have made. Oh and by the way did I mention that I only had three legs?!? Yup, you heard me right, three legs!!!! Believe me, it doesn't slow me down a bit. I was kicked by a horse and my leg shattered in several places, so it couldn't be saved. No worries though because I am still every bit as normal as the next dog, but I have something they don't have.......uniqueness. I would love to meet with everyone that might be interested in giving me a forever home. Just asking for a safe loving place that wants to play and have fun.

We were urged to look at rescue groups when we wanted another Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog). We ended up with two, Precious and Treasure. They had been treated horribly by a backyard breeder, then rejected by a number of potential adopting families. They were labeled incorrigible for some reason. We took them in and got far more back in return. Still, those two are bed dogs. They like to play tag every midnight, but they are pretty quiet otherwise.

I missed the activity and intensity of Sackie, our Australian Cattle Dog. I saw a Golden Retriever rescue group at the bookstore, so I figured there was one for ACDs in the area. All I did was Google cattle dog rescue and I found New Hope.

Mrs. Ichabod and I fell for Sassy from the picture and bio. The dogs write in the first person. That is one smart breed. Sassie came over for a visit on Sunday and won us over completely. She has a little German Shepherd in her. She decided the humidifier was a threat and warned me about it. ACDs moan, whistle, talk all the time. Sassy saw plastic statues of Mary and Joseph on one lawn when we took a walk. She began baying at them. I preferred a Protestant dog, but I think Sassy is Orange Lodge.

We are taking ownership of Sassy after our vacation.

If someone wants a pet, check out the rescue groups first. They want to place animals with stable families. In this area the animals are neutered, given an ID chip, and brought up to date with shots. It is very inexpensive to take on a rescue dog and a wide variety of options are available, from puppy to high need pet.