Friday, August 15, 2014

Are You My Father?

In 1987, a graduate was the spitting image of one DP.
We did not know about Ed Werner in those days.


From Polluted WELS Blog:




Blogger Ben Wink said...
One thing that I'd like to add regarding the DP discussion. I can't speak if this is the case for every graduating class at MLC, I can only report what I witnessed when I graduated.

In the days leading up to Call Day, there was a get together in the cafeteria for all of those that were graduating and the District Presidents. A meal was served and the DPs went around room presumably to meet the graduates.

Certain DPs found their relatives that were graduating and just hung out at their tables. Too many times one heard the phrase start out with "Hey Dad!" or "Hey Grandpa!" or "Hey Uncle!" to attract them to where they were sitting. Other DPs after finding out that they were sitting at the staff ministry table where I was at, got up to leave it and saunter elsewhere because even then some the DPs at that time were dismissive of staff ministers.

Some students were just fawning and brownnosing to an alarming degree. My naive thought was "Why should I suck up to these men that I've never met before?" All in all it just had the effect of a kiss-arse business networking soiree.

There were some that even made sure that the DP knew their last name because it might just be the tipping point to getting that call or not. Again, my naive thinking led to the idea that this type of brownnosing shouldn't influence something like a "divine call". After all, these men never met me before, how could they know enough during a little dinner to effectively divinely call me? There is more to the process, right?

I would be a liar to say that those with last names the same as DPs or those that yelled out "Hey Uncle...!" were deprived of calls. I never bothered to kiss up during that hour long meet and greet, I got a one-year call, and when that year was up...that was the end of my ever getting called.

It has been over ten years now and I've reached the point now that I'm glad I wasn't shameless in front of these strangers in power just to be noticed and remembered. Why should I kiss these men's rings in order to be divinely called? Who do they think they are?

---

 Anonymous said...
^^Ben Wink Not much has changed. This year's MLC graduation leads me to question the word divine. The behavior of one pastor and the SP in the graduation video is questionable since it was considered a service. One only has to view the video at the times posted. A divine call or a nomination for a political position? It was last mentioned in a blog response....

Anonymous July 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Anonymous said...

This video at 45:50 shows who fits in. Brother called to same congregation. Rev father seems overly impressed, why the whole clan is. How about, 59:09 same location as brother in GJ blogs favorite picture. To hear the audience response is disturbing. And Schroeder's comment.

http://www.mlc-wels.edu/today/features/current/commencement-recap