Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Places To Buy Roses


Local gardening shops may be good for roses. I used them for late season bargains in the past. If you want specific roses, buying bare root roses from the Internet is the way to go. Some of then also offer potted roses as well - something I have not had shipped to me, but they can be found. No one should fear bare root roses. They are easy to start and grow.



Regan Nursery - They have the best, most organized, illustrated list of roses. Browse fragrant varieties, colors, etc. They provide a run-down with photos of the characteristics of each rose. These California roses came to me bare root, rather beat up, heated on a long trip, so I soaked them in rainwater a long time and pruned them top and bottom. No other roses started growing so fast - and they lasted well too.

Jackson and Perkins - They are the biggest and have the latest award winners.

Edmunds - They have more varieties.

Weeks - They are wholesale. I bought twenty $5 roses from them via Gurney's offer. They all grew very well.

Antique Rose Emporium - Olde roses are featured, and they have the best record for being hardy and fragrant.

Direct Gardening - DG has a wide variety of plants. They are the place for Mr. Lincoln for $8. Their plants tend to be tiny, such as the Rugosa rose twigs I bought, but one took off and is still a bargain for the total $6 price for six. I am very happy with their Cat Mint I bought for almost nothing. Their clearance sales are worth considering.


Another approach is to google "search _____" with the type filled in. That is how I found Seven Sisters rose for a classmate.

All the vendors stand behind their produce when the plant fails to grow. That will happen with bare root roses.

Soaking in rainwater or stored water, plus pruning, will solve most problems.