Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Jeffery Clark Opens a Can of Eighth Commandment
On MLC_Student

Ichabod is the only straight website or blog running this still from "Party in the MLC."



JefferyClark has left a new comment on your post "Party in the MLC - No Wonder the MLC Graduates Can...":

To MLC_Student:

I am curious as to why you do not reveal your identity, if you are, in fact, a student at MLC. Perhaps it is because you were trying to stir the pot with your post and not reporting all the facts about your statements?

Well, I'll help you out just in case you forgot to mention some things.

Regarding the Koine Concert Service on Monday night: It was just that, a concert service. I personally don't like "contemporary services" very much either, but I don't believe that just because it isn't my cup of tea that it is automatically wrong.

The reason it wasn't in the chapel? Well, there are several I can think of off the top of my head:

1) The chapel wasn't properly setup for a concert.
2) The chapel AV system isn't designed for that type of event.
3) The auditorium AV system IS designed for that type of event.
4) The chapel needed to be open to prepare for the compline service later that night before the concert ended (compline was just starting as the band was finishing packing up) -- where there was in fact a spoken confession of sins and absolution. Did you attend the compline service?

It had nothing to do with the fact that the chapel has a cross. If you want a cross and altar in the auditorium, we still have them from when the auditorium was used for chapel services. They were stored because there isn't enough room to keep them on the stage if they aren't being used. Just ask for them to be used when we are in there for events like this in the future and I will personally go and get them out. I would also point out that the new advent wreath does incorporate a cross in its design.

Also, you are misrepresenting/misquoting the administrative council notes. It was mentioned that they were looking at "incorporating more contemporary aspects into some chapel services" to give students a little more variety. Let's face it, a chapel service book with Services A-I can only go so far. Sometimes a little variety is a good thing.

As for your comments about Professor Olson, you have a right to your opinion, whether I, or others, agree with it or not, but I do suggest that you read up on your commandments and Luther's explanations of them. If you need a copy, drop by my room, I'll gladly lend you one. I also recommend you watch the chapel on the 4th commandment online in the archive and attend the upcoming chapel later this week on the 8th commandment.

***

GJ - Jeffery needs to read up on the Eighth Commandment and Matthew 18 in the Large Catechism. Apparently, Larry Oh! and the rest of the faculty are not teaching that part of the Confessions.